Synopsis: : Historical Diversities Society, Politics and Culture (Essays for Professor V.N. Datta) 1st Published
This volume is in Honour of distinguished historian Professor V.N. Datta. The Essays contributed by some of the most eminent Historians which cut across boundaries of time and space highlight the diversified and multidimensional Nature of historical studies, encompassing some of the most fascinating themes in History from Ancient to contemporary times.
The Book covers broad themes like land relations; regional identity; Gender relations, composite culture; internal migration; Colonial notions of power; environment; science; nationalist discourse; ethnicity and Politics of Dalit identity. In addition, two essays conceptualizing and illuminating Modernity in Europe and Asian identity form part of this volume. The collection makes an important contribution to the field of social, Political and Cultural history.
I. ANCIENT India :
1. Some Aspects of Land Relations in Central India/K.M. Shnmali
2. Perspectives from the Regions and the Construction of Early India Bhatrabi/Prasad Sahu
II. Medieval INDIA :
3. Love and Deviance in Mughal India : The Kissa of Heer and Ranjha/Indu Banga
4. Love and Gender in Medieval Times as Reflected in the Literary Punjabi Tradition/J.S. Grewal
5. State and the Composite Culture in Sultanate Bengal (c. AD 1200-1600)/Aniruddha Ray
6. Skilled Labour Migration in Pre-Colonial India from 16th to 18th Centuries/Shireen Moasvi
III. MODERN INDIA :
7. A Brief Encounter : The Mughals and the Renaissance Man/Sabyasachi Bhattacharya
8. 'Seventy Times Seven' : The Sin of 'Christian Manhood' in a Colonial Situation/Sudhir Chandra
9. Questions of Public Health and Foreign Philanthropy : Rockefeller Foundation in India, 1915-1945/Deepak Kumar
10. Forests, People and the State in India : Pre-History of Modern Resource Management Regime/Satpal Sangwan
11. 'Abolish Indenture' and the Indian Nationalist Discourse in the Early Twentieth Century/Radica Mahase
IV. CONTEMPORARY INDIA :
12. Naga Ethnicity : Historical Roots and Contemporary Ramifications/Suranjan Das
13. Understanding Change in the Lives of Dalits of Punjab After 1947/Harish K. Pun
V. Europe AND Asia :
14. The Frontiers of European Modernity/Barun De
15. Colonialism, Modernization and the Asian Identity/Irfan Habtb
VI. Historiography :
16. The Keralotpatti as History : A Note on Pre-colonial Traditions of Historical Writing in India/Kesavan Veluthat
17. Interpreting Sikh History : A Study of Gokul Chand Narang's The Transformation of Sikh ism/K.L. Tuteja
18. History Textbooks : Narratives of Religious Nationalism/K.N. Panikkar
VI. NOTE :
19. A Note on the Spread of Islam in India/Amrik Singh
Selected Publications of Professor V.N. Datta
1. K.L. Tuteja is Director, Academic Staff College, and former Professor of History, Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra.
2. Sunita Pathania is former Professor of History, Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra.
3. K.M. Shrimali is Professor of History, Delhi University, Delhi.
4. Bhairabi P. Sahu is Professor of History, Delhi University, Delhi.
5. Indu Banga is Professor of History, Panjab University, Chandigarh.
6. J.S. Grkwal is former Vice-Chancellor, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar and former Director of Indian Institute of Advanced Study, Shimla.
7. Aniruddha Ray is former Professor of Medieval Indian History, Calcutta University, Kolkata.
8. Shireen Moosvi is Professor of History, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh.
9. Sabyasachi Bhattacharya, former Professor of History, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, and former Vice-Chancellor of Viswa Bharati University, is currently Chairman of the Indian Council of Historical Research, New Delhi.
10. Sudhir Chandra is former Professor of History, Centre for Social Sciences, Surat.
11. Satpal Sangwan is Senior Scientist, NISTADS, New Delhi.
12. Deepak Kumar is Professor at Zakir Hussain Centre of Educational Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
13. Radica Mahase is a research scholar at the University of West Indies, Trinidad.
14. Suranjan Das is Vice-Chancellor and Professor of History, University of Calcutta, Kolkata.
15. Harish K. Puri is former Professor, Ambedkar Chair, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar.
16. Barun De is former Director of Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Kolkata and former Director of Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies, Kolkata.
17. Irfan Habib is Emeritus Professor of History, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, and former Chairman of the Indian Council of Historical Research, New Delhi.
18. Kesavan Veluthat is Professor of History, Mangalore University, Mangalore.
19. K.N. Panikkar, former Professor of History at Jawaharlal Nehru University and former Vice-Chancellor of Sree Sankaracharya University, is currently Chairman, Kerala Council for Historical Research.
20. Amrik Singh is former Vice-Chancellor, Panjahi University, Patiala.
K.L. Tuteja is Director, Academic Staff College, and former Professor of History, Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra.
Sunita Pathania is former Professor of History, Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra.