Introduction/Fr. Mario Saturnino Dias
Holy Father's Message and Blessings
1. Welcome Address/Archbishop Telesphore P. Toppo
2. Inaugural Address/Archbishop Malcolm Ranjith
3. Welcome Address/Bishop Lawrence Thienchai Samanchit
4. Welcome Greetings/Archbishop Adriano Bernardini
5. Evangelization as Dialogue as seen in Ecclesia in Asia/Fr. S.M. Michael, SVD
6. Response 1/Fr. S. Arulsamy
7. Response 2/Mr. Roberta Catalano
8. Evangelization as the Service of Human Promotion as seen in Ecclesia in Asia/Cardinal Julius Riyadi Darmaatmadja, SJ
9. Response 1/Dr. Mani Jacob
10. Response 2/Bro. Anthony Rogers, FSC
11. Towards an Asian Way of Sharing the Faith/Archbishop Thomas Menamparampil, SDB
12. Response 1/Mr. Roy Abraham Varghese
13. Response 2/Fr. Mario Angela Rodrigues
14. Evangelization as Proclamation as seen in Ecclesia in Asia/Fr. Gino Henriques, CSsR
15. Response 1/Bishop Joseph Rodricks, SJ
16. Response 2/Fr. Mario Saturnino Dias
17. Evangelization as Inculturation as Seen in Ecclesia in Asia/Sr. Ko Ha Fong Maria
18. Response 1/Fr. C. Joy Perera
19. Response 2/Sis. Techie Rodriguez
20. Evangelizing Communication in the light of Ecclesia in Asia/Fr. Franz Josef Filers, SVD
21. Evangelization and Peace Building/Bishop Charles Bo
22. Youth in the light of Ecclesia in Asia/Dr. Edward A. Edezhath
23. Evangelization as Service of the Poor/Fr. Jean Dantonel, MST
24. Evangelization as Service of the Poor/Archbishop Telesphore P. Toppo
25. Consolidated Report of the Workshops
26. Statement of the Symposium on "Evangelization in the Light of Ecclesia in Asia"
Purpose of the Symposium :
This Symposium was organized in response to the prayerful wishes of Pope John Paul II "that in the Third Millennium a great harvest of faith will be reaped in this vast and vital continent" of Asia. Also in response to the call given by the Synod Fathers to "all Christ's disciples in Asia to a new commitment to mission" (EA 1 & 4). Hence, the theme of the Symposium "Evangelization in the light of Ecclesia in Asia".
The FABC Office of Evangelization always nurtured the desire to study the Apostolic Exhortation in depth in view of this new commitment to mission, but other programs planned before the promulgation of Ecclesia in Asia did not permit necessary time and space for this venture. Coincidentally at a point a proposal from "Asia 2000"-a lay mission oriented movement originated in the US with roots in India-to join hands with the FABC Office of Evangelization gave new impetus to our dream in the waiting. In fact, "Asia 2000" co-sponsored this Symposium.
Since FABC deals with Bishops' Conferences and Bishops, the participants were to be mainly Bishops. At a joint meeting with a representative of "Asia 2000" we decided to give about 30% representation to the laity and others from the various countries restricting the number to 60 including the organizers, co-organizers and speakers. Though we had some disappointments at the eleventh hour, we had actually about 40% Bishops, 30% Priests (including religious), and about 30% laity and religious Sisters and Brothers.
Inaugural Mass and the Inaugural Session :
The Gospel of the Inaugural Mass (Lk 4 : 38-44) set the tone of the Symposium. After preaching to the people, curing the sick, and driving out demons, Jesus told his disciples : "There are other towns in Israel. To them, too, I must go" (Lk 4 : 43). Similarly, the mission to evangelize constantly urges the Church to penetrate places where Jesus is hardly known.
The Inaugural session presided over by Cardinal Julius Riyadi Darmaatmadja, SJ, Archbishop of Jakarta began with the welcome Address by Archbishop Telesphore P. Toppo, Chairman of the FABC Office of Evangelization. This was followed by the Inaugural Address of Archbishop Malcolm Ranjith, Adjunct Secretary of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples and President of the Pontifical Mission Societies. Thereafter, Bishop Lawrence Thienchai Samanchit, the Ordinary of the place welcomed the participants, and Archbishop Adriano Bernadini, Apostolic Nuncio to Thailand gave his message. The Session ended with the reading of the Papal Message by Fr. Fernando Galbiati, Secretary General of the Pontifical Missionary Union. Mrs. Beena Manoj of "Asia 2000" gave the Word of Thanks and also compered the Sessions.